Monday, February 15, 2010

Buy the company not the market

In December, I make a statement about airlines flying high and suggested buying on dips.  Well, I took my own advise and after watching American, Jet Blue, and U S Air raise rates again, it was time to jump in.  The result, even though the stock market has been languishing in uncertainty, has been amazing.  I bought on February 1st and as of February 12, the growth of my investments thus far:  American Air lines up 21.14%, Jet Blue up 1.79% and US Air up 22.93%.  Those are not annualized returns, they represent just 2 weeks.
I had also said that Alcoa was going to be a winner.  And it will be Buying at current levels is something I am looking very closely at.  
I had predicted that jobs would grow in January, well I missed that one by just 22,000 jobs.  Okay I will take a hit on that one, but I think I missed it just by a month.  Watch for February it should be the turning point.  
Also, just in case you missed it.  Ford Motors is about to break to the upside again.  My target is 15 plus per share.  I think by the end of 2011 they will even reinstate a dividend.
American Tel and Tel is being held back right now by the ongoing directed competition with Verizon, I still like the stock and love the dividend.
Meanwhile CD rates still are sucking wind.  Look to local credit unions for one year rates of 2:00%.  Rates should start up during the second half of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment